Friday, August 21, 2015

Ft. Bragg and Mendocino painting week - So much fun!

August 10 to 15, 2015 I spent a fun week painting in the Ft. Bragg and Mendocino area painting with good friends, and attending the Mentoring program with the great Albert Handell.  I always grow when I attend these mentor-ships, as Albert knows where I need to improve, and pushes me in those directions.  

My friend Maryann McGraw and I arrived in Ft. Bragg two days before the mentor-ship started, for a couple of days to paint.  This is the first location we painted at, which is a beach that is visible from the Lodge we were staying at.  


The Noyo River and fishing village that was next to where we were staying.  One of the views we had from our room, from the Harbor Light Lodge.  

My good friend and artist, Maryann and I, enjoying our painting time together.  

My first painting before the mentor-ship.  Rocks of the jettie on the Noyo River.


One of the vistas I painted with fog rolling in and out.  

Early Morning Splash - 12x16 Plein Air pastel.


Albert started the week with a oil painting demonstration in the studio at the hotel.  Makes we want to paint in oils again. 


After the demo we painted in one of Albert's favorite spots, where old ceder trees surround a little intimate area overlooking the ocean.  Just a magical spot.  My view from inside the grove.  

Russian Gulch Vista - 12x16 plein Air Pastel

Russian Gulch Foggie Vista - 

Noyo River fishing village and the view from the room.

Maryann and I decided to paint a nocturne of the vista from our room.  This was my interpretation of the view.  

View from the room after dark of the fishing village.  As you can see, we had to start at dusk to get some of the feeling of the view from the room, but after dark you can see the lights and reflections in the water.  

Lighthouse Vista, 1

Lighthouse vista II

Lighthouse vista III

Lighthouse Vista IV

Entrance to the Noyo River 

Rocks again 


My very last painting of the week, done at Hukehandle Park.  I was standing close to the edge of a high cliff, and towards the end, the wind started to get strong, and I had to hang onto my gear and painting to compete the painting.  

No comments: