Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My Bucket List trip to Italy

Last month, Oct. 15 to the 21st, 2014, I had the opportunity to travel to Italy with my good friend, Lilli Miles.  We took a 15 day land tour of the country, on a coach with 27 other great folks, who became fast  friends, and great travel companions.  For years I have wanted to see this beautiful country and all of the art, but had never been able to, so thus, this became a "bucket list" trip.  Because we traveled around the country from the south to the north, it was a busy sight seeing tour, but how else can one see so much in 15 days.  For this reason, I did not have much time to paint, however, I did take a little watercolor sketch book and a small travel size watercolor pallet, and did a few sketches, most happened in about 15 or 20 minutes, when I had a few moments in between events.  So  will include them in this blog, with a few photos from the trip.
We started and ended in Rome.

Here is the map of the Italy, I painted on the plane.  The cities we sent to were: Rome, Pompeii, Sorrento, Isle of Capri, Assisi, Venice, Bologna, Verona, Lake Maggiore, Florence, Cinque Terre, Siena and back to Rome.  (all in 13 days)  We were lucky we had arrived in Rome two days early, so we were ready for the the pace the trip required.

Fascinating Rome



Sorrento

Sorrento

Isle of Capri


Venice- Watercolor sketch.

Watercolor sketch - view of Venice.

Venice

Lake District, Lake Maggiore.  That's Switzerland in the far distance.
View from hotel room, the Duomo in the distance.

Watercolor sketch - Rooftops in Florence-

I'm back home, the trip was wonderful, but I have so much to paint here in this country also.  Next I will post my paintings from Zion National Park in the fall.  Just got back from Zion, but in the meantime, I am busy getting ready for the Open Studio Tour.  I will be one stop of three studio tours, with 6 artists displaying their work.  Please come by, and see all the great art, and get started on your Holiday shopping.


Hope to see you in December, come on by!!!

No comments: